Author Notes: Ok, this is my first original recipe on the website. I don't really have a name for it. It's really just a sauce for me. It's just a combination of my favorite items. I use this sauce on pizza dough and I also use this sauce over sliced eggplant and mozzarella cheese in a dish that is then placed in the over to bake. This is going to sound a lot like Marcella Hazan's recipe because I prefer to cook with butter instead of oil for most of my cooking. I just use butter but i use a combination of tomatoes and I love to use Vidalia onions because I first cooked this sauce when I lived in the South and Vidalia onions are very prevalent there. - Karin Ward
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 Diced Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Large Diced Vidalia Onion
- 2 Diced Garlic cloves to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1-2 splash Basalmic Vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 Diced Green Peppers
- Heat the butter in a 5 Quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the diced onions, garlic and diced green peppers and reduce the heat to medium. Heat until translucent and softened which is about 3 minutes.
- Add the Tomatoes, both cherry and plum, balsamic vinegar and Black Pepper. Cook until the sauce begins to come together which takes about 20-30 minutes. The longer you cook the sauce the better it will taste just make certain that there is enough moisture.
- This sauce can be used on Pizza dough if you are making pizza, although it is a little chunky. Or you can place this sauce over eggplant and mozzarella and place it in the oven to bake.