If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A great way to use winter tomatoes (pretty to look at, bland as can be to eat) in a healthy, filling soup. Those who are not dieting as part of their New Year's resolution can add chicken and cheese to make the soup more hearty. The lime juice gives this soup a nice kick, and gives it the flavor that makes it filling. - mama iris
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, turkey)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- In a soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and oregano and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cover the pot and cook gently for about 15 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice. Add crumbled tortilla chips, chicken, or cheese to top off the soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish