If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a great dish that can be served as an entree for the vegetarian at the table or a side dish for the meat eaters. And it's a great little dish for a dinner party since the quinoa part of the dish can be made the day ahead and is comforting enough to serve at your Thanksgiving table. —TheWimpyVegetarian
Serves 8 side dishes
Squash and Roasting Glaze
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Delicata squash, halved lengthwise with seeds and pulp removed
- 2 teaspoons chocolate nibs
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar
Fruity Quinoa Pilaf
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon Calvados Apple Brandy
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon minced dried apricots
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chocolate nibs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the Roasting Sauce ingredients except the squash. Lay each Delicata half, cut side facing up, on the lined baking sheet and brush the Roasting Sauce on all cut surfaces. Coat the squash well, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the squash and baste a second coat of the Roasting Sauce on the surfaces. Roast for another 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the bowl of each Delicata half with Mocha Sprinkles while still hot.
- Rinse the quinoa very well, rubbing it between your hands as you rinse it. In a small pot over medium heat, bring the water (or vegetable broth, if preferred) to a simmer. Add the quinoa and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking, bring the apple cider and Calvados to a simmer in a second small pot. Peel the apple, core and seed it, and chop it into very small chunks. Add to the simmering cider along with the remaining Fruity Pilaf ingredients. Simmer until the cider is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Strain, retaining the reduced apple cider.
- Combine 2 cups cooked quinoa with the fruit and toss. Add a couple of tablespoons of the reduced apple cider, to taste. Spoon it over the Delicata boats.
- Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.