If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom makes this recipe every year for good luck, and now I do too. It's simple but everyone loves it. - Emilie
- 1 pound Great Northern beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped, or more to taste
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves, and some of the inner ribs chopped if desired
- 1 ham bone with some ham still attached
- 2 pounds ham, cut in 1 inch chunks
- salt to taste
- Pick over beans and soak in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Put beans in large pot and cover with 6 cups of water.
- Add celery leaves, celery if desired, onion, ham and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and partially cover with lid.
- Simmer for 2 hours, until desired thickness (we like ours thick, but you could also make it soupier). Add salt at end depending on how salty your ham is.
- Serve with cornbread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.