If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother-in-law, Alberta, makes a TON of Brutti ma Buoni, every year for Christmas. Hers is a completely different recipe; one with whole eggs and a flour made from various nuts that she picks up from the butcher, only during the holiday season. They are delicious with a cup of coffee to dip them into, they are a bit crunchy, but they mean Christmas in Rome.
I, myself, prefer chewy cookies; always have, so I created my own recipe after baking, rebaking, adding and removing flour, looking for "authentic" other recipes, and well.. The basic recipe is eggs, nut flour, sometimes chopped nuts, sometimes chocolate. I thought that choosing a meringue base would offer the chewiest result and sandwiching the chocolate in between layers hides that ugly underside that is so touchy when making meringues. —Cassie Jones
Makes 30 cookies
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/2 cups fine, raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto Liqueur(like Disaronno)
- 3 3/4 cups Almond flour
- 1/8 cup white flour(optional, but helps the cookies hold together)
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 3 ounces milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whip egg whites to a glossy, fluffy texture with the salt.
- Gradually add sugar while continuing to whip on low speed.
- Add Amaretto.
- Carefully fold in flours.
- On parchment lined cookie sheets, scoop 2 tbs portions of dough roughly 1 1/2 inches apart. Prepare two sheets at a time.
- Place one sheet of cookies on center rack and one on the bottom. Bake for 15 minutes, then switch the sheets. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove baked cookies, by spatula, to cooling rack.
- Over a double boiler, melt both chocolates together until smooth.
- Match pairs of cookies by approximate size and shape. Then on the bottom of one cookie add approximately one teaspoon of chocolate and sandwich the cookies together.
- Let cookies and chocolate cool completely and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for a week.
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.