If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: EBELSKIVERS! Fun to say, fun to make, fun to eat! In this version I combined the classic Danish filled pancake with my favorite snack EVERY afternoon last time we were in Italy - pecorino and honey. Earned myself the nickname of Pooh that way. You are going to need and ebelskiver pan for this ... - aargersi
Food52 Review: Aargersi has hit gold with her flavor combination in these delightful little pancake balls. I put a plate in front of my husband, and after his first one, he proclaimed them AMAZING! I used a local cheese, Queso de Oveja, on the recommendation of my cheesemonger. It combined splendidly with fragrant rosemary, and delicate acacia honey to create a balanced savory-sweet breakfast dish. I needed to cook mine at medium heat, so I'd recommend making a test ebleskiver or two to test before committing to a whole batch. I had my best luck with turning them by poking a chopstick in the bottom, then dragging the chopstick in a circular fashion laterally to loosen the pancake before flipping it. This is definitely in my breakfast recipe arsenal, and I suggest you add it to yours! - hardlikearmour
Serves about 20- 25 ebelskivers
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, plus additional for cooking
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg - separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh rosemary
- pecorino cheese, cut into 1/2 " hunks - get soft pecorino, not the aged kind
- honey for drizzling - I like a light honey, acacia in particular
- Whisk together the milk, egg yolk and 2 tbs melted butter (better if the milk isn't frosty cold when you do this).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and the rosemary.
- Beat the eggwhites until they peak but are not too stiff.
- Combine the milk and flour mixtures until just blended - do NOT over mix! Gently fold in the eggwhites.
- Heat your ebelskiver pan to med - high. brush each hole with butter, then put a tablespoon of batter into each. Drop a cube of pecorino in, then top with another tablespoon of batter.
- When they are brown underneath (I always have to peek) do the ebelskiver FLIP and cook the other side. I use wooden chopsticks for this ... you get the hang of it quickly.
- Put the finished ebelskivers on a platter, drizzle with honey and serve!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.