Author Notes: This is a pretty pink and scrumptious way to frost a white cake. I like to fill the cake with a thick layer of really good strawberry preserves for more intense flavor. I started making this when my niece was a little girl. Now she has two little boys of her own.... - ChefJune
Makes about 2 1/2 cups, enough to frost 2 9-inch layers
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves (home made preferred)
- a pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup puréed fresh strawberries
- Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in yolks, then pureed berries and preserves. Cover tightly and refrigerate until set.
- This mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. When ready to frost cake, bring to spreadable room temperature.
- Teacher’s Tips: 1. This recipe can be made as well with apricots, peaches, raspberries, or any other fruit flavor you desire.
- 2. If you are squeamish about using raw eggs in the frosting, you could use pasteurized eggs, available in the freezer case of your super market
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting