If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This frosting which is reminiscent of a key lime or lemon pie is a shortcut adaptation of the key lime icing for a key lime pie cake recipe developed by Maria del Mar Sacasa, a recipe developer and food blogger @ highheelsandfrijoles.com. Needless to say, if you love key lime pie or lemon meringue pie, you will like me love this frosting which, combined with crumbled graham cracker crust and topping a cake or cupcakes (yellow cake, chiffon cake...), will delight your tastebuds. You may even find yourself eating a spoonful or 2 of the frosting. This recipe will be enough to top an 8 or 9 inch cake, but if you want to cover entire cake, double the recipe. —Regine
Makes one 8-9 inch cake or 8 cupcakes (top only)
Graham Cracker Crunch (or buy an 8 or 9 inch graham cracker ready made crust)
- 1 1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup Packed light brown sugar
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan (a pyrex might be ok too) with foil allowing it to hang over the sides. Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Press onto bottom of cake pan (no need to grease foil), and bake for 15 minutes in a 350F preheated oven. Cool for 1/2 hour; break into irregular chunks when ready to use frosting on cake or cupcakes.
- 1 12 oz (1 1/2 cup) Lime or Lemon Curd (I recommend the Mackays brand @ www.mackays.com) or make your own.
- 1 0.25 ounce package unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Zest and juice of 1 medium to large lime or lemon
- Stir gelatin in water and microwave for 30 seconds. Let cool to room temperature, maybe 10 minutes. Beat cream cheese, sugar, juice and zest till light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add gelatin and beat to combine, then cream and beat till soft peaks (about 3 minutes). Add the curd and beat till combined (30 seconds).
- Cover your cake or cupcakes, then sprinkle generously with the graham cracker crust crumbs (note you may have some leftover). Refrigerate for 1 hour so gelatin can set, but i find that you can even serve it immediately. Actually, I prefer it room temperature but if you prefer a texture that is closer to a key lime or lemon pie, you want it colder. Either way though is delicious.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.