If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Saveur Magazine's flaky butter pie crust. Tender, cinnamon-spiced apples. Dried Cherries. Smitten Kitchen's Dark caramel. Nutty streusel. Need I say more.
Note: For an easier and quicker alternative, 1/4 Cup of Maple Syrup can be substituted for the caramel. - sarah buttenwieser
- 5-8 Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 Lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup Dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Recipe Salted Caramel (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/10/paris-a-deep-dark-salted-butter-caramel-sauce/)
- 1 Recipe Nutty Streusel (recipe below)
- 1/2 Recipe Flaky Butter Pie Dough (http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/flaky-butter-pie-dough)
- Roll Out the pie dough and mold into a bottom crust.
- Cook the cherries with the cider until the cherries are plump and the cider is slightly thicker.
- Toss the apples with the caramel, reduced cider, plumped cherries, cinnamon, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Fill the pie dish with the apple mixture and top with the streusel.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- Let it rest, and then serve with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 Stick of Cold Butter, cut into pea-sized chunks
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Nuts, chopped (Pecans, Almonds, Hazelnuts or Walnuts)
- With your hands, mix the ingredients until crumbly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.