Author Notes: This is one of the first pies I made as a new bride. Looking through an issue of Southern Living magazine, my husband remarked that he always liked chess pie. He says nice things about this pie, so I've kept it in my tried and true file. I've cut the sugar by one-fourth, but it's still plenty sweet. I use whole milk buttermilk when I can find it. - Lucy Mercer
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Heat oven to 350. Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add eggs and buttermilk, stirring until blended. Stir in melted butter and vanila and pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack at least an hour before serving. Store leftovers, well-wrapped in refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie