If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: October really is some month for us! We have three birthdays in a row; starting with the youngest who just became two years old last week, followed by my oldest who turned 13, and last but not least: me! (Ow God, tomorrow!!) I think I have never been cooking, baking, mixing, stirring and trying new tastes more often, than I have last week.
Because my oldest son bagged me to ‘please celebrate his birthday apart from his little brother’, we had two parties, separated by just one day. We made all kinds of humus’, pesto’s, pistou’s, soups, vegetable snacks, little quiches, and even a whole bunch of sushi, which all turned out amazingly well (except for a weird kind of carrot humus which nobody, including me, liked). And just to continue the kitchen experience a little longer, I planned to bake these little birthday cakes for Wolf, to hand out in daycare yesterday afternoon.
Because of this, there wasn’t exactly a lot of time to come up with a whole new extensive recipe, but I sure was hungry as hell! For a while now I wanted to make this (spelt)sandwich with black beans, (just because of the fact I’m a total fan of beans, especially when they’re black!) but I didn’t exactly know what to combine it with. I mean, add some coriander, and the whole thing gets a Mexican twist. Add a poached egg, and you could easily have it for dinner, instead of for lunch. Also nice, but not what I had in mind, and since my fridge and cabin were stuffed with foods and vegetables, there wasn’t any need to go shopping either. I just picked out some of my favorite ingredients and voila, this is what came out. It was heavenly GOOD! Really! You might think I went totally insane to layer mayonnaise and a hot bean mixture on a sandwich, but it couldn’t turn out any better. The parsley pistou was a leftover of one of the birthdays, and is a great seasoning to keep in your refrigerator for a week or two. (If covered well)
- Mirjam Leslie-Pringle
- A large bunch of parsley (like one plant) including stems
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 garlic glove
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 slice of speltbread (or any other heavy bread you like)
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise. (Or veganaise if you prefer)
- 2 or 3 slices of a large tomato
- 1/2 sliced avocado
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 can of black beans, drained.
- 1/2 small dried pepper
- a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 garlic clove
- Some spoons of parsley pistou to season (see recipe below)
- Heat the beans with the garlic and crushed hot pepper. (use as much or little as you like)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Spread a spoon of mayonnaise (or veganaise) on you sandwich
- Cut the tomato in firm slices and cover your bread with it.
- Do the same with the avocado
- Sprinkle some lime on top
- Add the hot bean mixture
- Garnish it with the pistou and maybe some extra chill flakes
- For the pistou just mix everything together with a mixer or kitchen-machine, and done it is!