If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Have you ever run out of oatmeal? Well, I did on a really cold morning when I was craving a warm breakfast--so I used couscous instead. If you use milk to make the couscous, it's almost like cream of wheat. This is more concept than recipe, so feel free to have fun with your own variations. —drbabs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- honey or maple syrup if desired
- Heat milk to almost boiling. Dump in couscous and turn off heat; cover and set aside.
- Saute banana slices in butter. When they have started to soften, sprinkle brown sugar over and stir until the brown sugar is incorporated and all the banana pieces are coated in the butter-sugar deliciousness.
- Sprinkle the almond extract and salt over the couscous. Thoroughly incorporate the bananas into the couscous, stirring until there are no large chunks of banana and no areas where banana is not blended into the couscous. Divide into two bowls.
- Top each serving with about 1/4 cup Greek yogurt. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup if desired, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Enjoy!! You've now had a good hot breakfast and are ready to start your day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).