Author Notes: In cold weather, the idea of a hot breakfast appeals to me, but I've never really liked oatmeal, cream of wheat or grits. But I do love couscous. I have cereal with bananas almost every morning, so I created a warm couscous dish in its place. - drbabs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 small, banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sliced almonds
- honey or maple syrup if desired
- Prepare couscous according to package directions; cover and keep warm.
- Saute banana slices in butter. When they have started to soften, sprinkle brown sugar over and stir until the brown sugar is incorporated and all the banana pieces are coated in the butter-sugar deliciousness.
- Sprinkle the almond extract and salt over the couscous. Thoroughly incorporate the bananas into the couscous, stirring until there are no large chunks of banana and no areas where banana is not blended into the couscous.
- Top with about 1/4 cup greek yogurt. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup if desired, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Enjoy!! You've now had a good hot breakfast and are ready to start your day.
- I think this would also be good with some cinnamon or chai spices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish