Author Notes: I like soup. A lot. It's super easy to make and requires that I pay almost no attention to the stove top. I like tomatoes. I eat a lot of tomato soup. This soup is creamy and thick and I adore it. It is a very basic soup. - Erin
- 5 Medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup Milk or cream
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches Salt
- In a decent sized saucepan (large enough to hold all the ingredients), melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, stir and cover. Stir once in a while so that they do not burn and cook until sightly translucent.
- Toss in the minced garlic, stirring quickly, cover for about 1 minute (be careful not to let the garlic burn).
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the pot, stir and cover, stirring occasionally.
- When the tomatoes are cooked (skins coming off the fruit), take the pot off the heat and slowly stir in the milk. Put back on low heat and allow to simmer, covered, for about five minutes.
- Take off heat, let cool slightly, and blend using a stick blender.
- Serve on its own or over toast.