If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: How do you revive seven people hungry and aching from walking for five avenue blocks during a thunderstorm and then studying Frank Lloyd Wright designs while hiking up the overpopulated Guggenheim trail? You serve them the fastest and most refreshing food imaginable. That’s right, chilled cucumber soup! I used to make cucumber soup with buttermilk instead of yogurt. While I never added lemon nor pureed it, I think I prefer this version of a chilled cucumber soup far more. Although Ina Garten’s original recipe called for this to be completely pureed, I was in the mood for something with a bit more bite in it, so while I processed the mixture, I stopped short of a completely smooth texture. It’s not ingenious to add lemon to soups to really brighten the flavor; I do this with borscht and even an Indian split pea dal, but it really enlivens this particular soup. The fresh lemon juice takes this soup from regular to special. This soup pairs nicely with a Vouvray or a Riesling. - NakedBeet
- 35 ounces Fage or similar Greek yoghurt
- 1 extra large seedless (or persian) cucumber, unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry dill
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 16 large shrimp (or 2 per bowl)
- lemon wedges and fresh chopped dill for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, both milks, cucumbers, red onion, scallions, salt and pepper. Using a hand held blender, process until the cucumbers have broken up into a grainy mixture.
- Add the chopped dill, lemon juice, and more salt if needed. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- Before serving, drizzle more fresh lemon juice, place 2 large shrimp and dress with fresh dill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
La Dolce Vita
A sweet bite for a sweet life.
Italian Breakfast Buns
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Cereal = Dessert
The Daily Grind
Recipe of the Day