If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love just about all cream of "anything" soups, especially now that the weather is a little chilly. This recipe is super easy and quick, and a little lighter than most cream of leek and potato soup recipes. So you don't have to be a couch potato after eating it. - Flirty Foodie
- 1 large leek (about 1 cup whites chopped)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (or half and half if you prefer)
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Cut the leek in two pieces, separating the white part from the dark green. Cut two fully circular slices of white part of leek. Set aside.*
- Pull the green leaves apart and rinse well. Cut the remaining white piece in half length wise and rinse well. (There tends to be a lot of sand embedded in the stalk.)
- Place the green leek leaves and bay leaf in a pot. Pour chicken broth on top. Cover and let simmer on medium heat.
- Heat olive oil in another medium sized pot over medium low heat. Cut the white part of the leek into thin strips. Add chopped leeks to oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes (the smaller the cubes the quicker it will cook). Add potatoes to leeks and cook for another minute.
- Strain broth over leeks and potatoes, discarding green leaves and bay leaf. Let broth simmer on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove pot from stove. Add milk.
- Blend all ingredients together. Check for salt and pepper. Serve.
- * Leek garnish. Wash and dry circular leek slices. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium in 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Place on top of soup. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.