If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ultra delicious sweet potatoes casserole recipe, with a generous addition of brandy or rum, and a crunchy, sugary praline topping, belongs to one of my bestest friends and cooks Fagnol, hence the name for this dish. I have, however, reduced a bit the amount of spices and at the same time, because I am very bad o), doubled the sugar and butter mixed in with the sweet potatoes. Make it for Thanksgiving or Christmas or for any other occasion; and impress your family, friends and guests. It serves a crowd as it fits perfectly into a 15x10 inch Pyrex baking dish (4.8 quarts). But if you only have a 9x13 baking pan, place leftover in a smaller baking dish. You can even freeze it after you have baked it and let it cool completely prior to wrapping tightly. - Regine
Serves about 10-15
- 11/2 cup Light or dark brown sugar (packed into measuring cup)
- 11/2 cup Finely chopped pecans (or crushed cornflakes if you are allergic to or prefer no nuts)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter (not margarine), melted
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon or more to taste
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted butter, melted (1 stick or 4 oz or 113 grams)
- 1 cup Brandy (and/or rum, and/or -hey why not- Grand Marnier)
- 8 cups Sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled, sliced and packed into measuring cup * (do not use canned sweet potatoes)
- 2 20 oz each cans of pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 teaspoon White pepper
- 1 cup Orange juice and/or pineapple juice from the cans of pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon Grated orange zest or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Allspice or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups Light or dark brown sugar (originally 1 cup but I prefer a bit more sugar; packed into measuring cup)
- For the topping, mix the sugar, pecans, butter ( melted) and cinnamon; and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, the other 8 tbsp of butter (melted), sugar, orange juice, brandy or rum, and all the spices. Add the sweet potatoes and pineapple.
- Mix very well trying to break some of the sweet potatoe slices into smaller pieces. Taste and adjust spices and/or "booze" to taste but you may not need to. Stir in the flour.
- Put in a buttered 15 inch Pyrex baking dish (4.8 quarts) and spread the topping all over the sweet potatoes. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for an hour or until the top is brown and crispy.
- *Note: About 6 lbs of sweet potatoes should yield 8 cups. But buy 1-2 more lbs just in case. You want to pack (pressing with your hands) the sliced potatoes into the measuring cup(s).
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.