If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My goal was to create a couscous recipe that could be made in one pan and would be a great balance of whole grain carbs, healthy fats, lean protein and veggies. That is asking a whole lot, but I kinda made it happen! Not only does this dish have loads of flavor, it is a nice, light twist on the classic frittata recipe. I enjoy mine over a salad or with steamed veggies. You can use your favorite grated cheese to top this fritatta. I always like a strong flavored cheese, a little goes a long way without too adding too much fat. - Marla
- Source Organic ingredients when possible
- 1 Shallot -or- 1 medium Onion, diced small
- 6 Garlic cloves, chopped small
- 2 Bell Peppers diced small (2 different colors are nice)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Egg Whites
- splash Non Fat Milk
- 4 ounces Thinly Sliced Prosciutto (trim fat)
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups your favorite grated or crumbled Cheese (I used a Raw Milk Gruyere)
- to taste: Black Pepper, dried Thyme, Salt
- Olive Oil
- Pre heat broiler with oven rack about 4 " from the top.
- Cook couscous according to package directions -or- add 1 cup couscous to 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Take off heat and let couscous sit for about 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. This will yield about 2 cups of fluffy couscous. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large oven proof sauté pan on medium high heat. (It is easier to use a non-stick pan) Add shallots, garlic, thyme, some salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and fragrant.
- Add diced bell peppers, continue to sauté until peppers are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk. Add to sauté pan and briefly stir to combine with bell peppers and onions.
- Keep pan on medium high heat until eggs are mostly cooked through and they start to pull away from the edges of the pan. During cooking use a spatula to lift up the egg mixture so the uncooked portions can flow underneath.
- When eggs are mostly set and cooked through, evenly layer slices of Prosciutto on top of egg mixture. When the eggs are fully covered with Prosciutto, gently press on a layer of couscous on top. Evenly distribute cheese layer on top of couscous.
- Put pan under preheated broiler for about 7-10 minutes, until cheese is browned. Watch closely, and enjoy!
- Serve warm with steamed veggies or a side salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Couscous Dish