If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This warm salad is substantial enough for lunch or a light dinner, but would also taste great with a roast or fish. Roasted cauliflower is probably one of the best foods in the world, and something about a smooth coat of egg, garlic and parmesan from the Caesar dressing makes it so luxurious. Don’t be scared of the sugar, it just helps it become more crispy brown—it doesn’t make it too sweet. The egg, not unlike carbonara, coats the grain and cooks through, so don't fear the raw egg. —OB Cookie
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus a pinch for the dressing)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 8 ounces uncooked barley (I used parcooked)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nutsPreheat the oven to 400.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut up the cauliflower into florets and spread them on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Sprinkle the salt, sugar and drizzle the olive oil onto the cauliflower
- Roast the cauliflower until golden, approximately 25-30 minutes
- On a separate baking sheet, roast the pine nuts for 5 minutes at 400 when the cauliflower is almost done.
- Cook the barley in salted boiling water according to instructions. (I bought parboiled barley and cooked for 12 minutes). Drain when tender
- To make the dressing, combine egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, pinch of salt and anchovy in a blender
- Add the oil slowly and then the parmesan. Blend for 1 minute until creamy.
- While the barley, pine nuts and cauliflower are still warm, combine all ingredients in a bowl including the thyme. The warmth of the salad should cook the egg through.
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.