If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Amanda and I often find ourselves talking about dishes that would make a great "dinner for one." Although neither of us lives alone anymore, there are still those inevitable evenings spent home alone, when the challenge of cooking for one stares you right in the face.
It's rare that I get too fired up about concocting something elaborate just for me. More often, I see it as a nice excuse to whip up something easy and comforting -- like these goat cheese grits I first threw together one night years ago when I was actually living alone. I still make them whenever I'm in need of a soul-satisfying one dish dinner. They're creamy and soft (I add a bit of milk to the cooking liquid), with just the right amount of tang from the goat cheese and a nice hit of heat from coarsely ground black pepper. —Merrill Stubbs
Serves dinner for one, or -- if you must share -- enough for two as a side dish
- 1/2 cup grits (not instant)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup milk, plus a few more tablespoons if necessary
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Combine the grits, salt, milk and 2 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently. When it reaches a boil, turn the heat all the way down and cover the saucepan. Simmer the grits, whisking occasionally, until they are creamy and tender to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the goat cheese and the parmesan, adding a bit more milk if the mixture seems too thick. Taste the grits and add more salt if necessary. Whisk in a few generous grinds of black pepper, spoon into a large bowl and eat right now!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.