If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These cookies are just insanely good. There's no other way to describe them. My mom got the recipe from my grandma, who got it from a co-worker. She remembers that everybody loved them each time she made them. This is our family's go-to Christmas cookie recipe, but they work any time you need a classic sugar cookie. They're pillowy soft with a kick of nutmeg. The best part? They STAY soft for almost two weeks! These cookies are the reason why I wouldn't eat ANY other sugar cookies when I was a kid. —foxeslovelemons
Makes about 5 dozen (depending on what size cookie cutters you use)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 cups flour (plus more if needed)
- Beat sugar, butter, sour cream, egg and baking soda at medium speed until well combined. Mix in vanilla and nutmeg.
- Gradually beat in flour. You want the dough to be not too dry, but not too sticky. If it's too sticky, gradually add a bit more flour. Cover and chill at least 1 hour, or overnight for best results.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In batches, roll chunks of dough to about 1/8-inch thickness (use floured surface and floured rolling pin). Cut it using your favorite cookie cutters. Bake cookies 8 minutes or until they just begin to brown around the edges (start checking them at 6 minutes). They will be very soft when they come out of the oven. Carefully transfer to wax paper and let cool completely. Enjoy cookies as-is or frost with your favorite frosting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
More Great Recipes: Cookies
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.