If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: ALL THE WAY, WITH KALE
So, there we are. I FINALLY did it: I. Made. A. Kale. Recipe. And not just the one and only I knew: mashed potatoes with kale and gravy, the way my mom used to make it, (and the one I made a dozen times since, too.) Nope. This is a recipe with the new kale. The new black! The golden vegetable!! The new hot and trendy thing to cook with. I bet u must have been just as overwhelmed by all the new kale recipes, as I was. Kale salads, kale chips (with hot chilie flakes, or herbs, or just plain with olive oil, or vinegar…), stir fried kale with quinoa, kale-pizza’s etc. etc. And it has been going on for quite some time now, I’m aware. I just didn’t want to be part of this whole trendy kale feverish thing. To be honest, I probably just was a bit (tiny bit, of course) jealous of all these fantastic looking kale recipes, made by these food pioneers, which obviously wasn’t me.
Anyway, I kept postponing this whole kale thing, just thought, that if I wouldn’t participate, it probably would go away. But it didn’t. Of course. As all genius newcomers. And so I decided to shuffle my pride aside and give it a try. Or two, or three.. because.. how wrong had I been..?? My god, this vegetable seemed to be the queen to vary with! The king of vegetables, lord of vitamins and fibre. It just was. Is. In so many incredible ways. (Raw) kale has this taste, wich can’t be compared to any type of letucce, but can absolutely be used as one. (Who would have thought..??) It is this slightly bitter- and a little tough bite which gives it it’s specific caracter. And seriously, I wasn’t kidding when I said this green is ruler of vitamins and minerals. Kale contains high levels of fibres (like many other tough greens, but kale absolutely tops that), lot’s of vitamin A and calcium, which is one of the many factors that may help prevent osteoporoses. It’s high in vitamin C, B6 and folic acid, manganes and potassium. And with these large amounts of minerals and phytonutrients this is the nr. 1 green to eat.
I came up with this salad after trying many different ways of preparing kale. But when I wanted to make a hearty salad with deep tastes and some crunchyness, I decided to use my winner vinaigrette with mustard, soy and sambal oelek. Don’t freak out just yet, believe me, it’s a keeper! I kept the butternut squash raw, in tiny little cubes and stir fried the sprouties for about 5 minutes to increase taste and nutritional value. These little fellows are wonderful by the way. They are high in vitamin C and great in a vegetarian diet. Well, isn’t that convenient?! - Mirjam Leslie-Pringle
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup (large cup) sprouties (or use chickpeas instead)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1,5 cup uncooked)
- 1 egg, per person
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (kikkoman) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (full) sambal Oelek
- 2 tablespoons of the best mayonnaise or veggienaise you can find. (preferably without sugar)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to its directions
- Cut out the large and thick stems from your kale, also the smaller tough ones between the leaves.
- Wash it well, and drain.
- Transfer the kale to a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, and massage well in with your hands.
- Cut a large enough piece off your butternut squash. Get rid of the peel. And cut it into little cubes.
- Stirfry the sprouties in 2 tbsp of olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Lower the heat when you think they’ll burn.
- For the vinaigrette mix in the olive oil, mustard, sambal oelek, soy sauce and pepper. And of course the mayonnaise. Shake or mix it well.
- Add all vegetables and the quinoa to the bowl. Than add the sauce, and whisk together. If neccessary, bring to taste with salt and frehly ground pepper.
- Bake one egg per person, sunny side up, and serve immediately!