If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake was one Christmas tradition among many baked goods in my home while growing up. Mom always baked it as a traditional pound cake. These days, I sometimes divide the batter among 3 miniature loaf pans - I keep one and give the other two as gifts. —lilroseglow
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add it alternating with the milk and vanilla, mixing well.
- Fold in the orange zest and chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into a floured tube pan. Do not preheat oven. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan. While still warm brush glaze over the top and sides, covering well. I sometimes poke holes with a toothpick. Keep pouring/brushing the glaze over the cake until nearly all is used. I usually have a little glaze left over but most of it should be used up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.