Author Notes: This cake was one Christmas tradition among many baked goods in my home while growing up. Mom always baked it as a traditional pound cake. These days, I sometimes divide the batter among 3 miniature loaf pans - I keep one and give the other two as gifts. - lilroseglow
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add it alternating with the milk and vanilla, mixing well.
- Fold in the orange zest and chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into a floured tube pan. Do not preheat oven. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan. While still warm brush glaze over the top and sides, covering well. I sometimes poke holes with a toothpick. Keep pouring/brushing the glaze over the cake until nearly all is used. I usually have a little glaze left over but most of it should be used up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe