Author Notes: This Recipe has been in our family for more than 150 years and has an interesting story. Passed down from my Grandmother who received it from her mother, (My Great Grandmother), to my Mother.
Our family always enjoys having a warm piece with coffee. It is so rich and moist that it usually never lasts more than overnight in our family. If you like fresh strawberries like I do, this cake, served warm with berries is a wonderful delight! I hope you will enjoy and cherish this recipe.
Family Butter Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 pound real butter -room temperature (use the best unsalted butter)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 10 eggs - room temperature
- 1 1 can Sweet condensed can milk
- 4 cups plain flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Butter a (and flour if desired) tube pan and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, at medium speed, cream butter until light. Very gradually add sugar, mixing until fluffy and light.
- Reduce speed to low. Break eggs in a small bowl, one at a time, and add to butter and sugar mixture. (This is to prevent egg shells from getting into your batter, which will spoil your product.)
- With your mixture on the lowest setting, or by hand, slowly add the condensed milk AFTER you incorporate the eggs with the sugar and butter mixture. stir in flour and salt. Add flavorings last. Keeping mixer at lowest speed, mix batter well, one or two minutes more.
- Put cake in a COLD oven. Bake at 300 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. Do not open doors for the first 30 minutes
- When you get close to the end of baking time, pour about 1/4 cup of melted butter over the top.
Grandmother's Homemade Condensed Milk Recipe
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use