If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of our favorite winter meals: Creamy Green Lentil & Coconut Soup. My soup is packed with savory lentils, fresh curly kale, creamy coconut milk, and warming spices to provide that comforting “stick to your ribs” feeling without anything actually sticking but the nutrients. Lentils are tiny members of the legume family and are not only super rich in fiber but also a great source of protein, B vitamins, iron, and other minerals. I love to serve this vegan and gluten free soup over quinoa, brown rice, or couscous. It is also perfectly wonderful on its own with sliced avocado.
Nutritional Information [per serving=1 cup]
200 Calories, 29g Carbohydrates, 5g Fat, 10.7g Protein, 11.7g Fiber, 3.2g Sugar —Alexandra Dawson
- 1.5 cups French green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- .5 teaspoons cardamom
- .25 teaspoons cinnamon
- .25 teaspoons cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 13.5 ounces light coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, bring lentils, stock, water, turmeric and thyme to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes, or until soft and translucent (don’t let it catch). Stir in the garlic and remaining spices, then sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and scrape contents of skillet into the Dutch oven with the lentils. Add the coconut milk and kale. Return soup to a gentle boil then simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until the kale is tender. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.