If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from a recipe called Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants and Parmesan, adapted from Bon Appetit in crumblycookie.net. I have never been a big fan of Kale but I did not know what I was missing. This delicious salad includes raw kale chopped into tiny pieces and infused for lack of a better expression with a sweet tangy vinaigrette, and brought to new heights with the addition of currants, pine nuts and cheese. Original recipe asks for shavings of Parmesan. I instead used what I had on hand and which I think was a great choice, Edam cheese (wrapped in a red cellophane like paper) cut into tiny pieces. This salad keeps well for several days in the refrigerator and can be eaten on its own and/or with a nice steak or salmon. As a shortcut, I buy prewashed, chopped kale but you can buy your own and do all the prepping. Original recipe asks for Tuscan (lacinato) kale. I will be making this salad over and over; and bring it for lunch at work. - Regine
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
- One 10 ounces Bag of clean chopped kale (I buy mine at Trader's Joe and prefer the regular not the baby kind) further torn into smaller pieces (with your clean hands) and making sure any remaining center ribs and stems are removed.
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar, Seasoned or Unseasoned
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Dried currants (or dried cranberries, chopped)
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup Edam cheese (or cheese of your choice like Parmesan), cut into tiny pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1. Place the balsamic vinegar and currants or chopped dried cranberries in a small container and microwave for 20 seconds, stir, and microwave again for 20 more seconds. Let soak 10-20 minutes, while you prepare the other ingredients; drain, reserving vinegar.
- Whisk vinegar removed from the currants or cranberries, the rice vinegar, honey, oil, and salt. Place the kale in a large bowl and pour the dressing all over the kale. Mix and then put the currants/cranberries and pine nuts; and toss to coat. Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature, then put the cheese and toss again. You can eat it immediately or refrigerate overnight. Season with pepper to taste. I find that additional salt is not necessary. Serve with steak, salmon or any grilled meat; or do like me and eat it by itself.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Chop to It
Salad with one rule: chop it real good.
Let's get chopping.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Rock the roast.
This is poppin'.