If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is nothing fancy about this dish, but it is delicious, economical and very family friendly. You probably have just about everything you need right in your refrigerator and pantry. You will see children consume great amounts of broccoli. It also provides a perfect opportunity to use whole wheat pasta as it's flavor and texture is a plus here. —healthierkitchen
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or thin spaghetti, prepared according to directions, 1/2 cup cooking water reserved (I like Garofalo and Rustichella D'Abruzzo brands but any Italian brand should be fine)
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large head broccoli (should be about 4 - 6 cups - I like a lot), cut into florets
- 6 tablespoons natural, crunchy peanut butter
- 4 - 5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (start with 4 and see if it seems like you need to thin the sauce)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- In either the microwave or a steamer insert set into a saucepan, steam the broccoli until it is bright green but still a little crisp. Take off the heat place broccoli into a bowl so that it is no longer in a hot pot or over steaming water.
- In a wok or deep saute pan coated with the peanut or canola oil, cook chicken pieces over high heat until chicken is just turning white, about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and continue to cook until onion is soft and chicken is cooked all the way through. If the pan seems dry, add a splash of soy sauce.
- Add steamed broccoli to the pan and lower burner to medium.
- In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, and lemon juice to make a paste. Add the mixture to the pan and mix well, adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water to thin the sauce. Make sure broccoli and chicken pieces are well coated.
- Serve over the whole wheat pasta with sriracha sauce on the side for those who prefer a hotter dish. Garnish with scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.