If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simplified version of famous Indian spiced rice pilaf. Serve with yogurt. - themessimake.com
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 cup chopped boiled potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon minced green chillies
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons biryani masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- Boil water in a large pot, add some salt, 1 tbsp of biryani masala, rice and cook for 6-8 minutes. Leave the rice slightly undercooked.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 20-30 seconds.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger – cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add add tomatoes and cool until the oil separates. This may take 4-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, green peppers, green peas, corn – mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, biryani masala, salt – mix well and cool for 3 minutes.
- Using cooking spray or olive oil, grease the bottom and sides of a heavy bottom pot or a ceramic pot (stove top safe).
- Spread a ladle full of veggie mixture to the bottom of the pot and then spread a ladle full of rice. Keep layering.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of water over the layered rice & veggie mixture.
- Drizzle clarified butter or regular butter over the rice. This will prevent the top layer of rice from getting dry.
- Cover and cook the layered rice & veggies over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Halfway through, using a spatula, check the bottom of the pot, if the rice is sticking to pot, then add a little more water.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
Chop to It
Salad with one rule: chop it real good.
Let's get chopping.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Rock the roast.
This is poppin'.