If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Escarole has broad, flat leaves and is less bitter then other members of the endive family. Despite the difference in appearance, it resembles radicchio in taste. *VARIATION* Sea Bass, Salmon or Tilapia can easily be substitute for halibut. The same 8 minutes per inch of thickness cooking time would be applied —joannE.
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Dill, Chopped
- 8 ounces Escarole (Approx 1/2 of a Large Head)
- 1 Medium Shallot
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Small Halibut Filet
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Zest from 1 Orange
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1 Lemon Wedge (1/8 Whole Lemon)
- Using a fork, combine 1 Tbs butter and ½ Tsp fresh dill in a small bowl.
- Rinse escarole, shake off excess water, and discard the darkest, outermost leaves (these tend to be the most bitter).
- Tear escarole into two inch pieces.
- Finely mince garlic and shallot.
- Season the halibut fillet with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Preheat a small Dutch oven, or a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, over medium high heat.
- Sweat garlic and shallots in the olive oil for one minute.
- Toss in escarole and orange zest with the garlic and shallots.
- Add wine and quickly place halibut, skin side down, on the bed of greens.
- Top the fillet with the butter and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow fish to steam for approximately 12 minutes (8 minutes per inch of thickness).
- When the fish in thoroughly cooked (opaque and flaky), place the wilted greens in the center of serving place and top with the halibut fillet. Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
Our photographer's favorite shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook
The best shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook.
This queso is nuts.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Get your shine on.