If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few years ago a group of my friends got together and got me a tagine ... which I have come to love dearly - it keeps everything super moist and tender, blends the flavors, and it's YELLOW!! When I make this recipe I am not all "measurey", I tend to add the amount that looks good at the time, so feel free to adjust amounts up or down according to your tastes. Also if you don't want to mess with the dried oranges and roasted tomatoes, you can use fresh ... the flavor will change up a bit but it will still be delicious! —aargersi
- 2 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 prunes
- small handful golden raisins
- fresh bay leaf
- a cinnamon stick
- 1 or 2 dried blood orange wheels (see note)
- a handful of slow roasted tomatoes (see note)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup low salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- salt and pepper the lamb shanks
- heat the oil to medium high in your tagine. Brown the shanks on all sides, them remove.
- turn the heat to medium and put the onions in the tagine. Cook them until they start to go clear, then add the garlic and cook a couple more minutes.
- Put the shanks back in along with any juices on the plate.
- Add everything else to the tagine ... make sure the liquid isn't going over the edge of the bowl part ... you want everything up under that lid.
- Cover and turn the heat down low ... leave it alone for a couple of hours, just looking now and again to make sure it's simmering but not boiling out of the tagine. RESIST the temptation to lift the lid for as long as you can stand it!
- DRIED ORANGE WHEELS - spray a sheet with no-stick. lay VERY thinly sliced oranges (peel and all) on the sheet and bake at 200 for several hours until they are dry - flip them over a couple hours in
- ROASTED TOMATOES - mariaraynal got me addicted to these ... I toss a tub of the sweet grape tomatoes with oil and vinegar (for this recipe - olive oil and balsamic vinegar) salt and pepper and some rosemary. Lay them on a sprayed sheet and stick them in the oven with those orange wheels for 4-5 hours until they are all caramelized and delicious.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Lamb
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.