If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eggplant never has and never will cross my husband's lips, making it a perfect "just for me" dinner. I love the way the eggplant is crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. For this I happen to have a little more marinara from last summers garden tomatoes, but just use whatever your personal favorite is. - aargersi
- 1 link spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper - thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper - thinly sliced
- a splash of dry red wine
- a hearty pinch of whole fennel seed
- a hearty pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 thick slices of eggplant
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan plus extra
- non stick spray
- heat the oven to 350. Put the sausage on a sprayed cookie sheet and pop it in the oven (you may want to poke a couple holes in it) and bake it until it's nicely browned - turning occasionally. When it's done take it out and crank the oven up to 400.
- meanwhile, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat (in a large skillet or a saucepan) until they start to sweat
- add the garlic and peppers as well as the fennel seed and red pepper, and cook until the peppers are just soft. Add the wine and marinara.
- Cut up the sausage into bite size peices and add to the peppers, turn off the heat and let it all rest.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in one shallow pan and the breadcrumbs in another. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray it with no stick.
- Dip the eggplant slices (both sides) in egg mixture, then crumbs, then onto the cookie sheet. Spray the tops with no stick too. Put them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, then flip them and sprinkle the top of each with parmesan. Bake until brown and crispy (maybe 7-10 more minutes)
- Heat the ragu back up and spread it on a plate, top with the eggplant and a bit more parmesan. Get a glass of wine and enjoy!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!