Author Notes: Not your average chili, this version is filled with spicy shredded chicken, black beans, tomatoes and a nice smoky hit of chipotle pepper. Serve with a creamy topping of avocados and greek yogurt, some bright cilantro, and a splash of hot sauce, and you just might find yourself in chili nirvana on a cold winter's day. - Sarah Woolworth
- 1 1/2 pound Chicken breasts
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chile powder
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Water
- 15 ounces Canned black beans
- 14.5 ounces Canned fire roasted diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen)
- 6 ounces Canned tomato paste
- chopped avocado, cilantro, greek yogurt or sour cream, and hot sauce for serving
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the garlic, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipotle, salt, oregano, cayenne, and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from pot and shred, using 2 forks. Return shredded chicken to liquid in pot and continue to simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for at least 20-30 minutes, until chili thickens slightly. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with cilantro, avocado, greek yogurt or sour cream, and a dash of hot sauce if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal