If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bratwurst and celery root. So, so weird, right? So, so wrong. It's a natural hookup on soup night. Add a few bunches of greens and a little beer, and it's like your Polish grandma hopped in the pot and melted into magic. Can be reduced until it is almost stew or left with lots of liquid for bread-dipping. —marisab67
Makes 2 quarts
- 1 cup celery root, peeled and chopped.
- 1/2 cup sweet, yellow, or white onion. Diced.
- 1 bunch whichever green is looking the saddest in the bin or the equivalent of 3 cups chopped. Mustard greens are perfect. The spiciness is a great addition. Escarole is my other favorite.
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced.
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, washed and diced.
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon stoneground mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt. Adjust based on saltiness of stock.
- 20 grinds fresh pepper or
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper, but come on, you subscribe to goop, get a grinder.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken stock.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 pound bratwurst, uncooked
- Heat the butter or oil in a 4 quart pot and saute the sausage and onion until lightly translucent. Remove from heat and cut in half, then slice into 1/2 inch chunks. Add mushrooms, celery root and carrots and continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Now add escarole, potaotes and garlic. and stir until wilted. Saute for 5 more minutes.
- De-glaze pot with 1/2 of beer and then add rest, plus the dill and mustard.
- Add stock, bring to boil, and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook for one hour and remove from heat. More stock can be added if thinner soup is desired. If available, add the fresh lemon juice right at the end. It makes a brighter soup. Season to taste one more time and serve with pretzel rolls. Really. Get the pretzel rolls.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.