Author Notes: I have adapted this slightly from Nava Atlas's book, "Wild about greens" ...where I first learned about massaging kale. Such a simple, quick recipe but everyone loves it. If you have her cookbook, her's is on pg 146. I also make more dressing than I need and use it for other salads because I don't like to keep making fresh dressing everyday and I love this one. - loubaby
Serves 6 servings
- 3/4 pounds kale, Dinosaur or Curly, de-ribbed, torn
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries or yellow raisins
- 2/3 cups chopped raw cashews or almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (honey in a pinch)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Place prepared kale in salad bowl. Place Rub 1 Tablespoon olive oil on your hands and immediately start to massage your kale leaves until all are glistening. They will soften in about a minute or less. Toss and mix in your cranberries (other dried fruits are fine) and nuts.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, agave nectar and salt and pepper; drizzle to taste the amount of dressing you like and serve. While I do serve this immediately, I have been known to hold any leftovers dressed overnight and it still eats well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens