Author Notes: This is a variation of a white (no sauce) pizza where the classic triumvarite of potatoes, garlic and rosemary is embellished with earthy and assertive broccoli rabe. The pizza dough is a recipe I have used and tweaked from Alice Waters over the years. Feel free to use your own favorite recipe. - TasteFood - TasteFood
Food52 Review: This is simply one of the best white pizzas we've ever tasted. The crust is crisp and rich with olive oil, and gently perfumed throughout with garlic. The mozzarella creates an ultra creamy base in lieu of sauce. Applying incredible attention to detail throughout, TasteFood blanches the broccoli rabe before sautéing it to get rid of excess bitterness; the crushed red pepper and garlic strike just the right balance of heat and pungency. Cooking the potato slices beforehand allows them to almost melt into the rest of the pizza, and a shower of rosemary, pecorino, and finally black pepper round out the symphony of complementary flavors. - A&M - A&M
Serves 2 10" pizzas or 4 mini-pizzas
Broccoli Rabe, Potato and Rosemary Pizza
- 2 uncooked pizza crusts (recipe below)
- 1 large yukon gold potato, very thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, washed, ends trimmed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced, plus 2 garlic cloves lightly smashed but still intact
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Arrange potatoes in one layer on a baking tray. Bake until edges begin to turn golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Increase oven temperature to 475 F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add broccoli rabe and blanch 30 seconds; drain. Plunge broccoli rabe into a bowl of ice water. Cool and drain again. Lay in one layer on a kitchen towel to thoroughly dry. Cut in 2" pieces.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté briefly, 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté one minute. Remove from heat. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Assemble pizzas: Lightly brush pizza crusts with olive oil. Rub all over with smashed garlic cloves.
- Arrange one layer mozzarella cheese over crusts. Top with one layer of potatoes and broccoli rabe. Sprinkle one tablespoon rosemary over each crust. Top with grated Pecorino cheese.
- Bake on pizza stone or on tray on lowest rack in oven until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with fresh rosemary leaves and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Stir yeast and lukewarm water together in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and semolina. Mix well. Let sit until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining flour and salt in another bowl. Add to yeast with cold water and olive oil. Mix well to form a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead with hands until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Or use a mixer with a dough hook, and knead about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours. Punch dough down, and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal disks (or 4 if you would like small pizzas.) Let rest 30 minutes before shaping. Lightly flour a work surface. Using your fingers or heels of your hands, stretch the disks out to 10" shapes.
- Your Best Pizza Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish