If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Risotto is my absolute favorite comfort food. I enjoy everything about making and eating risotto. It is luxurious and deep in flavor. There are almost endless variations on any risotto recipe, but this is my favorite. There's just something about popping the top off of the champagne to make this dish and the crispness of the bubbly works so well with the richness of the Parmesan. - natanya
Serves 4 as a first course, 6-8 as a side dish
- 1 quart Chicken stock
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups Carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 1 cup Champagne or other sparkling wine
- .75 cups grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- .25 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- sea salt to taste
- shaved parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
- splashes white truffle oil (optional garnish)
- Bring the broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter and the olive oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook until it is well-coated with the oil/butter mixture and begins to turn translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the champagne and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add about 1 cup of the warm broth from to the rice and stir regularly until the liquid is absorbed, about 3-5 minutes. You’ll know the liquid is absorbed when you run your spoon through the rice and liquid doesn’t immediately fill the bottom of the pan. Repeat, adding broth 1 cup at a time, until the rice is al dente (cooked through but still firm), about 18-22 minutes. While you don’t have to stir the rice the entire time, you shouldn’t leave the rice unattended for more than a minute or two and do stir the rice frequently.
- Combine the Parmesan, heavy cream, and pepper in a bowl.
- When the risotto is done, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, cream, and pepper mixture long with the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter. Add salt to taste. Garnish at will.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.