If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: First thing first… Technically, I sorta already lied to you in the title. I feel terrible about it, of course. But, Blackberry Whiskey Cupcakes doesn’t have the same glorious ring to it that Blackberry Bourbon Cupcakes does! I apologize to my fellow Nashvillian, Tennessee whiskey fanatics. BUT, these will taste just as delicious with bourbon or whiskey! Promise. So… Now that that is out of the way– Cupcakes. Cupcakes, cupcakes!
Having been a Kentucky raised, now Tennessee resident, I am all too familiar with the entire subculture that is whiskey/bourbon. I recently visited the Jack Daniel’s Distillery in Lynchburg, TN. The grounds are just beautiful (definitely add to your road trip bucket list!), and only a little over an hour away from my home in Nashville. After picking up some blackberries, I had originally planned on making some simple blackberry muffins.
After deciding that I obviously didn’t have enough sugar in my weekend, this warped into blackberry cupcakes… After which turned into blackberry bourbon cupcakes, remembering that I had a lovely bottle of Jack Daniel’s Silver Select Tennessee Whiskey on my shelf that we had picked up on the way back from our last vacation. Ahhh… Vacation. Warm, sunny vacation. Perhaps adding some of this whiskey would give back a glimmer of summer heat into this miserable, freezing winter weather. Worth a try, right?!
These delicious cupcakes are made using a flour/roux based frosting with a touch of that Tennessee 'shine. Accent with part of the blackberry glaze/puree, and you're in heaven!
-Phillip @ SouthernFATTY.com
[ORIGINAL RECIPE AT: http://southernfatty.com/blackberry-bourbon-cupcakes] - Phillip || SouthernFATTY.com
Blackberry Cupcake Base & Glaze/Purée
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (see instructions to make your own!)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 eggs, whites only
- 12 ounces blackberries
- 3/4 cup sugar (prefer vanilla - see instructions)
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted (room temp/soft)
- Original recipe can be found at: http://southernfatty.com/blackberry-bourbon-cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Start by making the blackberry purée: Heat over medium heat in small saucepan- blackberries, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice and zest.
- Heat until berries start to 'pop'.
- Remove from heat and press through sieve/strainer to remove seeds. Cool.
- Now, for the cupcake base. Sift together dry ingredients- flour, salt, baking powder. If you do not have cake flour, you can make it by replacing 1 tablespoon per cup of flour with cornstarch. Sift together several times to incorporate well.
- Cream butter and sugar (1 and 1/3 C) in mixer for about 2 minutes, until fluffy and smooth.
- Mix egg whites and milk in a (separate) bowl. Set aside.
- While mixing slowly, add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the mixer with the creamed butter/sugar. Mix well.
- Mix in eggs/milk slowly.
- Add remainder of flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in about half of the blackberry puree. I prefer to leave it mixed lightly, keeping a marbled appearance.
- Fill cupcake liners/pan about halfway and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- 6 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar (prefer vanilla sugar - see below)
- 1 cup butter (prefer salted for this)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean (alternatively 1 additional teaspoon extract)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (or whiskey)
- Combine flour and milk in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until thick paste-like consistency. You should see the bottom of the pan remain when stirring when this is finished cooking. This is your baker's roux.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Stir periodically to prevent a film from forming and to speed up the cooling process.
- Cream butter and sugar. I prefer vanilla sugar for this (See http://www.SouthernFATTY.com/vanilla-sugar/ to make your own!) for about 2 minutes, until fluffy and smooth.
- Add flour mixture and mix at medium/medium-high speed until combined well, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla extract and bean pulp and bourbon until combined,
- Assemble cupcake and enjoy!
- Let us know how they were! Also, visit us at SouthernFATTY.com for more!
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.