If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These were inspired by a recipe of Deborah Madison's but mine have a more rustic texture and an addictively intense, spicy taste thanks to whole wheat flour, fresh and candied ginger and plenty of cardamom. They are kind of a hippie cookie, but still rich with butter. - gluttonforlife —gluttonforlife
Food52 Review: Gluttonforlife's cookies have a terrific combination of spices. The use of fresh cardamom gives them a serious kick. It's well worth cracking open the pods and grinding the seeds. The fresh and candied ginger make the cookies come alive. My favorite part is that baking in one pan gives some chewier cookies in the middle and crispier ones around the edge -- something for everyone in one batch. —Stephanie Bourgeois
Serves about 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 pound salted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed (like Muscovado)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup candied ginger, chopped fine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Process the oats briefly in a food processor, just to break them up slightly.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the salt, spices and oats. Work in all the flour well, and mix in the fresh and candied ginger.
- Press the dough into a 9x12 pan and score the surface in squares as you would with shortbread. (You can make any shape you like but these are rich, so smaller pieces are best.) Bake until surface is lightly browned, 30-35 minutes. Baking them longer will result in a drier, crisper cookie (which is also nice).
- Remove and cut through along the score lines, then set aside to cool. (These freeze well.)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Movie Snack
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.