If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A hearty dish filled with fall flavors like pumpkin and sage. Can be vegetarian, or chicken sausage may be added, if desired. - foxeslovelemons
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large bunch of kale (stems removed), leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dry, uncooked couscous
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese slices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chicken & apple sausage links, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat large pot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon oil and cook as label directs. Drain pasta; set aside.
- Return same large pot to stove. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, kale (in batches, if necessary) and red pepper flakes. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until all kale is slightly wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In medium saucepot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. While whisking, slowly add milk. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in sage, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray lasagna pan or large baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour about half of cream sauce in bottom of dish. Add layer of noodles, then spread noodles with half of pumpkin mixture. Add another layer of noodles, followed by half each of the mozzarella and Parmesan. Add all of the sauteed kale. Sprinkle kale with all of the couscous. Add layer of noodles. Spread noodles with remaining pumpkin mixture. Spread all of the sausage slices (if using) over pumpkin. Top sausage with remaining mozzarella. Add one last layer of noodles. Pour remaining cream sauce over everything. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake 15 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly. Let rest 15 minutes before serving topped with parsley, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.