If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Having grown and raised in a Mediterranean Lebanese cuisine. It is one of the most richest and healthiest cuisine in the world combining diverse types of vegetables, legumes, rice, bread, dough, olive oil and surely meat and chicken!
The recipe here is a Lebanese vegetarian recipe "Hindbeh Bi Zeit" meaning Chicory leaves, sauted with olive oil. I borrowed this recipe from my mother! :)
The recipe is not served as a main dish but rather a side dish or appetizer. It is simply prepared from basic ingredients in your kitchen:Onions, lemon, olive oil, garlic and the Chicory (aka Hindbeh) leaves!
Not all people love this dish, because chicory has an extreme bitter taste.
Chicory is known to have some nutritional and medicinal properties.
Chicory can grow wild (in its natural habitat) in the field, on roadsides, on river banks and can be cultivated in home-gardens. Even-though chicory is a permanent plant, it is grown as a seasonal crop, generally planted in early spring and/or summer – since it needs sunlight to grow and is collected during summer and/or early winter seasons, respectively. - Loulwa Kalache
Makes 2 plates
- 6 garlic gloves
- 0.25 cups olive oil
- 1 piece onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 chicory bundles
- Remove the outer yellow leaves from the chicory, then wash and shred crosswise, very finely.
- Immerse the shredded leaves in hot water for 2 minutes.
- When almost tender, remove the leaves and squeeze out excess water between the palms of the hand. Set aside to cool
- Fry the onion rings in oil until golden.
- Remove some onions from the oil and leave some inside . Then place the chicory in the same oil with the crushed garlic and salt.
- Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour some lemon juice over it and serve cold, garnished with the fried onions rings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
The Power of the Punch Bowl
Garnish at your own risk.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Refined at Age Five
That was a close shave.