If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a variation on the plain vanilla caramels I have been making for years. The best quality ingredients (organic cream, fresh butter, Tahitian vanilla) really do make a difference here. I am obsessed with cardamom and find that it makes these delectable, buttery sweets even more heavenly. Plan to give some of these away or you'll be sorry... —gluttonforlife
Serves makes about 250
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 18 green cardamom pods
- Crush cardamom pods with the side of a large, heavy knife.
- Combine crushed pods with cream in a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep overnight before straining out pods.
- 4 cups cardamom-infused cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups light corn syrup
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 pound salted butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- sea salt, I like Maldon or grey fleur de sel
- Spray a half-sheet pan with vegetable-oil spray. Set aside in a spot where it will not be moved.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine cream and sweetened condensed milk; set aside.
- In a heavy 6- to 8-quart saucepan, combine corn syrup, 1 cup water, sugar, cardamom and salt. Clip on candy thermometer. Over high heat, cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring with a wooden spoon, 8 to 12 minutes. Brush down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to remove any sugar crystals.
- Stop stirring, reduce heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until temperature reaches 250 degrees (hard-ball stage), 45 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile, cook cream mixture over low heat until it is just warm. Do not boil. When sugar reaches 250 degrees, slowly stir in butter and warmed cream mixture, keeping mixture boiling at all times. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thermometer reaches 244 degrees (firm-ball stage), 55 to 75 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan without scraping pot. Once it cools and firms a bit (about 15 minutes) sprinkle the entire surface with a thin layer of salt, very lightly pressing it in with your fingertips. Let stand uncovered at room temperature for 24 hours without moving.
- To cut, unmold caramel from pan onto large cutting board. Cut into 1-by-1 1/4-inch pieces, or other shapes. Wrap each in cellophane or waxed paper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Freeze It Right There
Frozen desserts like they're meant to be
All we want is frozen dessert.
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Your poolside essentials.
Recipe of the Day