If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ever since my husband tapped a dozen sugar maple trees in our backyard, maple syrup has become the exclusive sweetener used in my kitchen (besides local honey, of course).
This complete meal has a sweet and spicy sauce that highlights the bitterness of the kale, though spinach or chard also work. I use Grade B dark maple syrup for the maple terroir it provides. —purduetina
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted (optional, but if omitting, be sure to grease the baking dish)
- 1/2 cup dark, grade B maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 to 5 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped kale, spinach, or chard
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 4 equal-sized pieces, or left whole
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. To prepare a sauce for the chicken, whisk together the melted butter, maple syrup, mustard, and curry powder in a medium baking dish. Add the kale and chicken. Be sure each piece of chicken is covered with the sauce (especially if using whole chicken breasts).
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, covered, until the liquid has thickened. (If using whole chicken breasts, turn them over and baste with sauce halfway through). Because the greens release some water as they cook, the sauce may appear thin halfway through, but it will thicken a bit by the end.
- While the chicken bakes, prepare the bulgur wheat. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the bulgur wheat and let simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes, covered. Served the baked chicken and sauce over the bulgur wheat.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.