If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by the salad at one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco, Darwin Café. Darwin Café sat equidistant between my apartment and my office while I lived in S.F., and I found myself there at least once a week as a result. This is a salad for anyone who believes they dislike kale (or salads). It is filling enough to be a main course with bread, and sturdy enough to take pre-dressed to a picnic or to the office for lunch. The recipe can easily become vegetarian or even vegan if you swap the prosciutto and parmesan for salty dried black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and cooked white beans or garbanzo beans for protein. This recipe can also be doubled, tripled, etc. to feed larger crowds. —eat chic
- 1 bunch curly or lacinato kale, center ribs discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the sliced prosciutto, stirring occasionally to break up the pieces, until extra crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the prosciutto to a paper towel-lined dish to drain, and remove the pan from heat. Add the garlic and olive oil immediately to the warm pan to infuse the oil with garlic.
- Sprinkle the kale with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the juice of one lemon, and massage the kale for 1-2 minutes until the fibers begin to break down.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the kale (garlic oil, cheese, prosciutto, vinegar), including additional salt and black pepper to taste, and serve with extra grated parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.