If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderful and easy to prepare recipe for lentils Afghan style with a slight twist. Afghan style lentils mean they contain the three basic “c” spices: cumin, cardamom and cinnamon, among other spices. Here, I have added a little twist with coconut milk. This alternative to a simple broth, makes the dish very healthy and gives it a delicious smooth texture. Enjoy! Kenza. —Kenza Saadi
- 2 cups small brown lentils
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 piece (inch) of fresh ginger root, grated
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- seeds of seven cardamon pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly crushed pepper
- 200 milliliters unsweetened coconut milk (one can)
- water, room temperature
- Rinse thoroughly the lentils and let them stand in water for about one hour.
- In a large cooking pan, place a little bit of olive oil, the garlic, ginger and all the spices. Fry, mixing constantly until the spices start giving out their aroma.?
- Add the lentils and mix until well coated. Add the coconut milk and mix again. Finally, add some water so that the lentils are all covered.
- Bring the lentils to a boil, then lower the fire to medium to low. Let it simmer until the lentils are soft. About 35 minutes.
- Serve toped with fresh cilantro and accompanied by a yoghurt, cucumber and mint salad (“raita”), and white Basmati rice cooked with “Sultana” raisins.
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Is your cilantro contaminated?