Author Notes: My husband is allergic to almost all non-shellfish, so when I have the rare night home alone, I make some of the things he can't eat. One of my favorites is to make something like a crabcake but with smoked trout, apples, creme fraiche and horseradish. I pair it with a quick salad of arugula and avocados and I've got a tasty, filling meal that doesn't make me feel full. If plums are in season, I have some sliced plums on the side, making for a really refreshing meal. I should apologize for the picture: my husband is actually traveling in Yosemite this week, the lucky dog, and took the camera! So this is courtesy of my cell phone camera. - TheWimpyVegetarian
Makes 2 troutcakes
- 3/4 cups smoked trout, flaked (any smoked white fish will actually work well here)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon scallions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored and diced (Granny Smith or other tart apple works best)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chives, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 whisked whole egg (if you're weighing this, it's 1 oz)
- 1 ounce creme fraiche
- 1 1/2 teaspoon horseradish, grated
- 1/2 ounce breadcrumbs + more for dusting each side before sauteeing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl place the flaked smoked trout or other smoked fish and add the green onions, apple, lemon zest, chives and black pepper. Toss to mix well.
- Mix the horseradish into the creme fraiche. Add the 1/2 egg and creme fraiche mixture to the trout mixture and mix well. Add the bread crumbs, mix well and form 2 patties for sauteeing. Dust with additional bread crumbs before sauteeing.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a sautee pan over medium heat. Saute the patties roughly 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with Creme Fraiche Horseradish Sauce (below).
Creme Fraiche Horseradish Sauce
- 3 ounces creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the apple cider vinegar. When all ingredients are well mixed, whisk in the apple cider vinegar. Serve with the Smoked Troutcakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner