If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband is allergic to almost all non-shellfish, so when I have the rare night home alone, I make some of the things he can't eat. One of my favorites is to make something like a crabcake but with smoked trout, apples, creme fraiche and horseradish. I pair it with a quick salad of arugula and avocados and I've got a tasty, filling meal that doesn't make me feel full. If plums are in season, I have some sliced plums on the side, making for a really refreshing meal. I should apologize for the picture: my husband is actually traveling in Yosemite this week, the lucky dog, and took the camera! So this is courtesy of my cell phone camera. —TheWimpyVegetarian
Makes 2 troutcakes
- 3/4 cup smoked trout, flaked (any smoked white fish will actually work well here)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored and diced (Granny Smith or other tart apple works best)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chives, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 whisked whole egg (if you're weighing this, it's 1 oz)
- 1 ounce creme fraiche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1/2 ounce breadcrumbs + more for dusting each side before sauteeing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl place the flaked smoked trout or other smoked fish and add the green onions, apple, lemon zest, chives and black pepper. Toss to mix well.
- Mix the horseradish into the creme fraiche. Add the 1/2 egg and creme fraiche mixture to the trout mixture and mix well. Add the bread crumbs, mix well and form 2 patties for sauteeing. Dust with additional bread crumbs before sauteeing.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a sautee pan over medium heat. Saute the patties roughly 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with Creme Fraiche Horseradish Sauce (below).
Creme Fraiche Horseradish Sauce
- 3 ounces creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the apple cider vinegar. When all ingredients are well mixed, whisk in the apple cider vinegar. Serve with the Smoked Troutcakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).