If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this recipe one day after harvesting some squashes and herbs from my home garden. The marinade can be tweaked with any woodsy herb and substituting a different vinegar or citrus juice. A super hot grill and sturdy skewers are key... - Stefano Coppola
Food52 Review: This dish is a great example of the whole equaling more than the sum of its parts. At first glance, this recipe seems simple enough, but we've never tasted grilled zucchini quite like this. The porous squash soaks up the lemon, garlic, herbs and chili in the marinade, and after a quick char on the barbecue, it's positively bursting with flavor. Add the soft, mellow sweetness of red onion grilled in its own skin and you've got a bowl of vegetables that's addictive. You'll have leftover marinade, which is a good thing: reuse it to grill more veggies or drizzle over a salad. Stefano Coppola doesn't specify this, but we marinated the squash at room temperature. We also seasoned the skewers generously with salt and pepper before throwing them on the grill, adding a bit more seasoning later along with a tablespoon of oil from the marinade. - A&M - The Editors
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 summer squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1 sprig oregano, chopped
- 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- To Taste salt & pepper
- sturdy skewers, soaked in hot water for an hour if wooden
- 2 red onions
- Make Marinade: combine garlic, herbs, chile flake, lemon juce and zest, and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Whisk in oil.
- Place zucchini and squash into a lage resealable plastic bag, pour marinade over and seal. Allow to marinate at least 30 min, prefferably for a few hours.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Remove zucchini and squash from marinade and skewer.
- Cut unpeeled onions in half and place on grill, turning occasionally. Allow to char on outside. Remove and place into a bowl, covered with plastic wrap to steam.
- Grill skewers until tender, 5-6 minutes total, turning occasionally.
- Peel and slice onions. Pull zucchini and squash off skewers, toss with onion, season with salt and pepper. Serve.
- Your Best Zucchini or Summer Squash Recipe Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!