If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This summer, I roasted chicken thighs and red potatoes from my garden for an easy weeknight dinner. However, one night I slid a pat of frozen Morel Herb Butter under the chicken skin and discovered a date night version. As the chicken thighs roast in a bath of herb butter, the potatoes absorb the chicken juice and end up studded with chicken drippings. And the chicken thighs are succulent and topped with a crisp layer of skin. Be prepared for your significant other to melt. —gravy lessons
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 pound small potatoes, fresh from the garden
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, orange thyme is my new favorite
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 pinch red cayenne powder
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 ounce fresh morel mushrooms, minced
- Preheat your oven to 430 degrees. Dry chicken thighs with paper towels and place on an oiled cookie sheet. Generously sprinkle the thighs with kosher salt, then add fresh ground pepper and red cayenne. Allow the chicken thighs to sit out for thirty to forty minutes to warm up to room temperature. This technique is key for super crispy skin.
- Morel Herb Butter: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat with a smashed garlic clove in it and then add the mushrooms. Add the pinch of salt. Cook until the morels are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and spoon out the smashed clove of garlic. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Chop up the potatoes and place in a bowl. Add a sprinkle of olive oil and seasonings and stir together with your hand. Tuck the potatoes around the room temperature chicken thighs. Evenly distribute the fresh thyme sprigs over the potatoes and chicken. Place them in the oven for 45 minutes or until the skin is nice and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.