If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A lasagna that's rich and creamy and sumptuous and savory and totally over the top. Yes, this recipe is more involved than most, but it's the perfect project for a snowy day. Consider it a luscious labor of love. - Pennie
- 1 - 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups whole milk
- large sprig of sage
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- sea salt
- 2 cups ricotta, preferably homemade or fresh
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, crumbled (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and seed squash; cut crosswise into thin slices.
- Lay squash slices on a lined parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
- Make béchamel sauce: pour milk in saucepan, add large sprig of sage and gently bring to a simmer.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter pieces over medium heat.
- Slowly add flour, whisking all the while.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 3 minutes; be careful not to brown flour.
- Remove sage sprig and gradually add warm milk to roux, whisking constantly to prevent lumps.
- Season with kosher salt and ground nutmeg and remove from heat.
- Cook pasta: bring water to a rolling boil in a large pot.
- Add a small handful of sea salt: the better seasoned your water, the better seasoned your pasta.
- Add lasagna noodles and stir well; cook a minute or two less than package directions, drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta with egg yolks, chopped sage and grated Parmesan; taste and adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if needed.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Assemble lasagna: coat bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with béchamel and top with layer of noodles.
- Spread ricotta mixture evenly over noodles.
- Top with roasted butternut squash slices.
- Spoon béchamel over squash and sprinkle with crumbled mozzarella.
- Continue layers to fill the dish--3 or 4 layers should do it.
- Finish with mozzarella and top with sage leaves to garnish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, rotate dish, and bake for 15 minutes more, until top is golden brown.
- Remove casserole from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.