If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Today we're drawn to the exotic spices, herbs and flavors of the mid eastern world. And we are reminded of the movie Casablanca with Bogart and Bacall. The swirling intrigue, romance and ............. Well anyway, we love the unusual flavors and aromas of this dish which features sauteed chicken thighs in a complicated but savory sauce made with mid eastern ingredients. If these aromas and flavors are your favorites or if you are ready to taste them for the first time, try this dish and imagine yourself dining in Morocco under the stars.
The You Tube video can be found on our blog @http://tomandanitamorgan.blogspot.com/2013/02/chicken-morocco.html - Tom and Anita Morgan
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken thighs, trimmed of extra skin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
For the remaining ingredients:
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 15 ounces can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15 ounces can, garbanzo beans(chick peas), drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives from the deli, coarse chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small lemon, sliced thin, seeded and with ends discarded
- A few dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers or a few caper-berries, drained
- A few sprigs of fresh Italian parsley
- Combine the rub ingredients in a small dish; rub over cold chicken and let stand for 20 - 30 minutes until room temperature.
- Add oil to 12” skillet and sauté chicken over low-medium heat until browned on both sides; about 10 – 15 minutes. Reserve chicken in 200*F oven with serving plates.
- Pour off all but about 1 T oil, add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, pepper flakes and cinnamon stick and cook until you can smell the cinnamon; about 1 -2 minutes.
- Add the wine and tomato paste to pan to deglaze. Simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, olives, honey and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the reserved chicken and lemon slices on top and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken internal temperature reaches 160 – 165*F.
- Spoon the chickpea and tomato sauce onto the plates. Add the chicken and lemon slices on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve with salt and pepper at table.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken